by Mary Macary

Last week a group of our Mustang Chamber singers and band students were on a trip to New York City. To find out more about the trip as it was happening, I interviewed one of the students on the trip, Erika Hanks. Here is what she had to say:

Q: Why are you going on the trip?

A: We are going to New York to experience new cultures and expose ourselves to new ideas and principles. As well as allowing ourselves to enjoy music at the professional level.

Q: How long are you going to stay?

A: Four days.

Q: What are you going to be doing there?

A: We’re doing quite a few things. We’ve visited the Empire State Building, are going to the Museum of Art, and are watching both a symphony and jazz.

Q: How did you all get the money for the trip?

A: Fundraising, the Chamber Singers fundraise every year through Carol of the Round, a Christmas singing performance, and the band collected funds through various fundraisers, including the craft fair.

Q: How do you feel about the trip?

A: I’m so excited and happy to be here. I have a love for cities and wish to move to one one day. Things like this just make me more excited for the future!

So far the trip has been exciting and has offered many chances for the students to interact with a different culture within our country and to experience the art of professional music more than ever before! 

Full permission to use her words and name were given by Erika Hanks.